Stonefish, bullrouts and stingrays have spines, spikes or barbs that can inject dangerous venom when they are handled or stepped on.
The signs and symptoms of these stings include:
• Severe pain
• Swelling, an open wound and discoloration at the bite area
• Panic or irrational behaviour
First aid includes:
- Put hot water as bearable over the affected area. This will help to relieve pain.
- Call for medical assistance urgently
- Monitor the Airway, breathing and circulation
Note: If hot water is not available then paradoxically ice may be effective in relieving pain.
What should you do?
We all respond to emergencies in different ways.
Whether trained or untrained, some of us are afraid we will do the wrong thing and make the situation worse.
If you are unsure about what to do, call for an ambulance.
The worst thing to do is to do nothing.